Saturday, July 3, 2010

Homemade Salsa...

Here's a super quick and crowd pleasing recipe for homemade salsa that we've used in our family for a long time. We have tomatoes coming out of our ears over here, so we've been making lots of tomato filled recipes this summer. The easiest way to make this salsa is to dump it all in your Food Processor and let IT do the work! (In the photo I gave it a whirl in my Vitamix, which sad to say- didn't turn out too well, it was a little frothy and unevenly chopped, but you never know until you try! Stick to your Cuisinart!)

Ingredients:
2 lbs. tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
3 green onions
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp lime juice, fresh
1/4 tsp onion powder (I didn't have so I omitted)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

FOR THE KICK, depending on how heated you like things choose ONE of the following options:
  • 2 roasted jalapeno peppers OR
  • raw jalapeno peppers, seeds removed OR
  • 1/2 a can of green ortega chilies OR
  • nothing extra, still delicious!
Directions:
Put all of the ingredients in your food processor (I chopped my tomatoes in half, as well as my green onions and I minced my garlic first) then just pulsate it until it's the consistency that you like! Enjoy with some tortilla chips!

No comments: