Friday, March 13, 2009

Baked Penne & Roasted Vegetables....




Okay, it's been a while since I updated, and this is ONE of my FAVORITES- best pasta dish, hands down! I got the original recipe from my sister-in-law, but I tweaked it quite a bit so that the ingredients were things I actually had on hand- hope you like it!

Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper
2 green zucchini
2 yellow squash
1 yellow onion
2 handfuls of cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. marjoram
1/8 tsp. thyme

Also:
1 lb. penne pasta
3 cups marinara sauce
1 cup peas
1 cup parmesan cheese
+ 1/4 cup parmesan to sprinkle on the top

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450. Put on a pot of water to boil the pasta. Chop all your vegetables from the first list of ingredients, put them in a large bowl, drizzle the olive oil and seasoning on top, toss everything so that it's evenly coated. (Check your water, if it's ready, boil your noodles. You can under cook them a smidge because they will continue to cook when in the oven). Get a roasting pan or cookie sheet (I use parchment paper for easy clean up), spread all the veggies on it, and pop it in the oven for 15 minutes until they are roasted. Take them out, scoop them back into your big bowl, pour the cooked & drained noodles on top of that. Add your cup of peas, your marinara (I use the Vodka sauce from Trader Joe's, it's great in this recipe) and your cup of parmesan cheese. Mix that all together. Spray a 9x13 glass dish (or split it in two different dishes if you want) pour the pasta in and sprinkle your remaining parmesan cheese on top. Pop it back in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown on top. Enjoy- I know you will!!!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Looks delicious. I'll try that one this week. It'll probably make great leftovers. Wish I could get vodka marinara sauce from Trader Joe's. Sigh.