Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Abundant Harvest Organics

A few of my friends in town and a handful from out of town have told me about different co-ops that they have joined to support local farmers and have access to fresh, seasonal, locally grown produce. So after way to long, I decided to give one a whirl and I was pretty impressed with the quality and price. I logged onto Abundant Harvest Organics and signed up to receive a large box of produce and picked it that week at their drop off location on Saturday. Here's a sneak peak at what I got:


In the box was a TON of fresh spinach (3 Large Ziplock Bags full), green cabbage, butter lettuce, 12 crowns of broccoli, 2 rutabagas, 3 parsnips, a dozen oranges & tangerines, and a dozen apples. Next week, I am going to change my order to a small box (because we had broccoli coming out our ears!) and I am going to do some add-ons like black beans, brown rice, some herbs, and possibly some eggs. They have a ton of different add-ons ranging from more citrus or fresh, seasonal fruit to dried beans and lentils, to chickens, grass fed beef and dairy products. It may be something you might be interested in looking into. They have many locations and seemed really reasonably priced (to me) for fresh, seasonal, local, organic produce, just thought I would pass on the info! We are going to try it out for a bit and see how it works for our family.

5 comments:

Candice said...

Thanks for this. It looks great. They have a drop off in Irvine by me so I'm going to try it out too!

Andrea said...

Awesome, keep me posted, I'd love to know how yours is and what you think.... look forward to hearing more!

Candice said...

Thanks again for introducing this. I got the big box last Sat and pretty much ate the whole thing myself! I can't believe how much better organic fresh fruits and vegetables taste. I can't wait for this Sat and I have been telling all my friends about it!!

Andrea said...

Great! I love it so far, really challenges my recipes sometimes and I too can definitely taste the difference! Glad you liked it! Have you tried any of their add ons???

Candice said...

No, those seem a little more expensive for what you get . . . although I'm sure worth it. I never knew I liked beets until this week! And, I substitued rutabagas and turnips for potatoes in a stew and there was not much of a difference (my husband couldn't tell!)