Friday, June 24, 2011

Zucchini Frittata


I can remember my mom making this dish (or a variation of it, because I changed a few things!) as a kid. She would make it for parties or family gathering and cut it up into small cubes for an appetizer. I am sure my siblings and I ate more than an "appetizer portion" it was yummy and always a treat. Now I make it for something to keep on hand for lunch or to serve with a salad for a light, summery dinner dish. I hope you enjoy it too!

Ingredients:
3 cups zucchini, grated
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 sweet onion, chopped
1/2 cup expeller pressed coconut oil
1 cup flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs *** (see note below regarding seasoning)
6 mushrooms, chopped OR
1/4 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
***NOTE ON BREAD CRUMBS: you can purchase already seasoned bread crumbs and use those, or if you prefer, purchase or make plain bread crumbs and add 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. dried oregano, and 1/8 tsp. dried basil for extra flavoring to your crumbs).

*** Note on Mushrooms VS. Bell Peppers: You can make this recipe either way, the bell peppers leave a sweeter taste to it, the mushrooms a more veggie taste, either way is good. The original recipe called for mushrooms, but I subsitituted when I didn't have any on hand. Don't use more than 6 mushrooms because they release moisture and will leave your dish too runny. Sometimes I make it without either!
Before
After
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 glass dish. Mix all wet ingredients together first, then add the dry and mix until well blended. Pour into your glass dish and bake for 40 minutes until the top is lightly golden. Cool and cut into cubes for an appetizer or squares for a dish. This can be served hot or cold and makes great left overs!

5 comments:

Mama G said...

Yum! I made a double batch of this for a 4th of July party and it was a hit with adults and kids alike. And I got to use up some of the weeds-i mean zucchini- from my garden :)

Andrea said...

Loved that everyone loved it, it is the perfect thing for the over-grown zucchini garden! Hope you and all your munchkins are well and enjoy your summer! Do you have any favorite summer recipes you want to share?? Email me & you can do a guest post if you'd like!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your recipes! I've made your maple salmon, onion chicken, and honey chicken (my all time favorite way to make chicken now --lol). You are incredible! This zucchini recipe and your fried rice is on the menu this week. Thanks and keep all the fabulous recipes coming please! :)

Andrea said...

Thanks for your sweet comments, your favorites are some of my favorites too! Thanks for stopping by!

CC said...

I am trying this recipe on our vacation this week, and I can't wait to eat it!