Friday, February 26, 2010

Kale Chips

This is an idea that has been floating my head for awhile- I have had a few friends tell me about the idea and I have seen it a few times in cookbooks or cooking sites, and well, I am just now getting around to posting it! It's super easy, takes little effort, and is an easy way to incorporate dark green veggies into your diet- NOT TO MENTION that my child ate almost the whole plate herself- they have the crunch and crispy flavor of a potato chip- your little ones will probably like it too!
Raw Kale with Grape Seed Oil and Sea Salt
Baked Kale or "Kale Chips!"
Ingredients:
1 bunch kale, rinsed & patted dry
2 TBSP grape seed oil
1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions:
I rinsed my kale then chopped it into 3 inch pieces (you can chop or tear it) then I through mine in my salad spinner. I removed the tough stems before putting them in a bowl with the oil and salt. Toss them well and then lay them on a roasting sheet or cookie sheet to bake for 20 minutes on 325. Bake them for 12ish minutes, then with a pair of tongs, turn them over and bake for another 8- 10 minutes until the edges are browned and the leaves are crispy. Serve them immediately as an appetizer or a side, they don't stay crunchy for too long, so gobble them up quick!

3 comments:

TDM Wendy said...

You know you are desperate when you make . . . kale chips. You are one brave (or crazy?) mama. Wow. Do they go good with cheese dip?

Andrea said...

Ha ha ha! Not so much with the cheese dip- they are actually really light, like the consistency of... I don't know... eating tissue paper :) how yummy does that sound??? try 'em, your munchkins will probably gobble them up, and google it, I am not the first crazy mama to try them!

Anonymous said...

Very tasty!! Thank you for the recipe!!
~Pam