Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lemon Saffron Chicken...

Taste buds ready for a new flavor, getting tired of the same ol', same ol??? Give this a whirl, super easy, fun new flavors, and minimal ingredients... inspired by my Persian Cooking Diva of a sister-in-law who introduced me to cooking with Saffron!

Ingredients:
1 package of chicken tenders or breasts
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 TBSP Grape Seed Oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
a pinch of saffron

Directions:
Pour all ingredients into a dish or Ziplock bag and add chicken tenders (or quartered chicken breasts). Let them marinate for at least 5 minutes (up to 15) and then pour it all into a large skillet. Brown the chicken on both sides, the marinate will be soaked up by the chicken and evaporate until all you have left is the chicken strips. I love the rich yellowish color and the flavor of the saffron combined with the lemon juice and garlic, it's great by itself or wrapped up in a sandwich or wrap. ** In the picture I served it with sweet potato fries and roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower. But with the left overs I chopped it up and put it in a spelt tortilla with arugula, cucumbers, and some balsamic dressing!

** Saffron can be purchased at Trader Joe's (look for Spanish Saffron) or other stores, it's a little pricey, but a little bit goes a LONG way!

1 comment:

Debbie Alsdorf said...

Danika made me your minestrone soup when I recently had surgery. I loved it. Finally got to your blog this morning to get the recipe for myself and wow! I love this blog. Thank you so much for doing this blog for those of us who want to eat and cook healthy and get too overwhelmed by the stores loaded with books and recipes that we might not even like.
I also checked out the Haddon blog. What a beautiful family. I certainly will be bookmarking your recipe blog and look forward to reading it and trying some things. Looks like you are happy in Bakersfield! I loved living there for 12 years. You are just as beautiful as your sister and mom! I love your family.
Debbie Alsdorf