Sunday, February 20, 2011

Tostada Bowls and Nacho Feasts!

So the other day I threw some chicken breasts in the crock pot with a splash of Chicken broth, s & p, and some garlic powder to cook up while I was gone. All day I contemplated what I was going to do with it, I knew I was in the mood for something crunchy... so here's what I came up with.... Tostadas, Tostada Bowls, and Nachos!

Just for fun, I tried to turn my brown rice tortilla into a tostada bowl without frying it... and to my surprise, my attempt was successful! I put an oven safe bowl face down on a cookie sheet, then I laid a tortilla over the bowl, and laid another bowl face down on top- so the bowls sandwiched the tortilla in between. Then I baked it for about 5 minutes on 400, took the top bowl off and baked it another 5 minutes or so until it was golden and crunchy! Then I loaded it up with black beans, shredded chicken, salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, avocado and a little cilantro. It was delicious!


My hubby didn't want to wait for my crazy tostada bowl experiment so he just popped his brown rice tortilla in the oven (on a cookie sheet) for a few minutes until it brown up. Then he added the same toppings for the same delicious results! (His was a little harder to eat though.... maybe next time he'll be up for my experiment!)
And the following day, we had left over yumminess, so I grabbed some tortilla chips and made myself some Nachos! There are so many good options for chips out there- my favorite chips at Trader Joe's are their "Blue Corn" Tortilla chips but I also love a "Black bean and Garlic" chip that I found at our local health food store, Lassen's. There are lots of alternatives to corn chips, so take some time to look around and "test taste" some different options!
Crunch on my friends!

4 comments:

Krissa said...

I'm so impressed by your tostada bowl! I'm going to have to try that...

grace said...

I've always liked the idea of tostadas, but being fried, they just never seemed worth it.

Your experiment is an answer to my problem! Since I can't seem to get enough Mexican food lately, I think I'm going to have to try making a tostada bowl tomorrow :)

yellow marking paint said...

It is informative post. This recipe is very healthy for us. We make it weekly for Sunday morning. A must for winter! Thanks for sharing your ingredients with detail.

Jaxson Gill said...

Here you shared recipe this all are really best and healthy.I like this recipe and this best for all age people.


Acekard 2i