Thursday, July 16, 2009

Red Potato Mashers



I L-O-V-E this recipe for many reasons! 1. it's so tasty 2. it has minimal (& healthy) ingredients (the worst of which is 1 TBSP butter so it's "low fat"), and 3. it's quick and takes little effort! I usually plan 2-3 potatoes per person I am serving (depending on how big they are, the potatoes, not the people!).


Ingredients:
4 large red potatoes
1 TBSP butter
1 clove garlic (or garlic powder)
s & p

Directions:
For this recipe, I use a vegetable steaming basket and so it only takes 5-10 minutes to prep the potatoes. So, put about 1-2 inches of water in your pot and heat until it boils. Wash your potatoes and cut them into chuncks, the bigger the chunks, the longer they will take to cook. (I usually cut mine smaller and get about 12 chunks per potato). I leave the skin on, that's how we like it, kinda like Tahoe Joe's! OK, put the potato chunks into the steaming basket and lower that into your pot with boiling water. If you have a fresh clove of garlic, peel that and add that to the basket as well. Let that cook for about 5-10 minutes. (again, it depends on the size of your potato chunks, so lift the lid and test them after 5, 7 and 10 minutes until they are soft and a fork easily pierces them). Remove them from the heat and get out a big bowl to do your mashing. I am not really a gadget person, but my mom bought me this potato rice masher from Williams & Sonoma and I LOVE it! It makes the fluffiest, lightest mashers ever! Use what ever you have to mash- a potato masher, a pastry masher, or worst case scenario a fork! Slice a TBSP of butter and put it on top while the potatoes are still hot and it will melt throughout. Then mince your garlic, sprinkle your s & p (and garlic powder if you didn't use a fresh clove) and fluff that altogether with a fork! These are so good, they don't need extra butter or gravy- they are fluffy and fresh and a great side dish! Enjoy!

No comments: