I haven't posted in a few days due to a spontaneous trip to the coast, but here's something I have thought about sharing for quite some time- a post on supplements. My family has always been into learning about nutrition as a way of taking care of your body with a proactive stance, and this so far has been my favorite thing I've tried.
I know many people have heard of "probiotics" and that term is sometimes linked to yogurt thanks to the media- but really, it simply means "pro" (good) and "biotic" (bacteria) meaning the "good bacteria" that is found in your gut. We all have good and bad bacteria in our guts, some of our ratios are better than others, of course we would all strive to have more good and less bad in order to maintain great health. So a probiotic adds that good bacteria back to your good to help keep those ratios in good order. So, if you take a well formulated probiotic, you will see a lot of change in your overall health, it will promote better digestive functions (i.e. regularity and softness, if you will) as well as a lower incident of being sick, . A healthier gut leads to a healthier body because many illnesses and diseases start in the gut. It is especially important to add that good bacteria back to your gut after taking an antibiotic, because that antibiotic will kill the good and the bad bacteria in your gut- leaving you susceptible to secondary infections, like a yeast infection (that's why they are so common after you've been on antibiotics). These are also so good for your little ones, my daughter has been taking a probiotic from the get go- try one on your kids for better overall health and digestive regularity!
I think it's also really important to choose wisely the products that you take, you can't assume that all vitamins - or probiotics- will have the same quality, thus distributing the same resuts. So, after much research and comparison, I have chosen to go with Dr. Fuhrman's vitamins and supplements. I have seen and felt the differences! (* This is MY opinion, it's not the only one out there, and I am not even claiming it's the best, but it has been the most helpful to my family and I and my main desire with this post is to get you thinking and headed on a path that will help direct you if you need it. Dr, Fuhrman is not sponsoring me or paying me- nor does he know I exist!)
Here are the items I order from him, they are pretty "middle of the road" as far as pricing goes. They are supreme quality and when I do purchase them, I order in bulk to receive free shipping. If you have questions, please feel free to email me or leave a comment! These are the things I take along with their benefits:
- Preventing and ameliorating allergic reaction such as atopic dermatitis and eczema.
- Reducing respiratory infection and ear infections, especially in children.
- Animal studies show a reduction in colon tumor and polyps.
- Improving digestive function and bowel symptoms for those with indigestion, reflux and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Strengthen the mucosal barrier of the bowel and improve immune function.
- These strains have demonstrated documented improvement in Crohn's and ulcerative colitis as documented in medical studies
- Premium children’s vitamin–mineral supplement.
- More than 30 fruit & vegetable concentrates.
- NO artificial sweeteners or preservatives.
- Free of allergens (no wheat, dairy, gluten, or soy).
- Improved great berry taste.
- Fun for kids to eat.
- No isolated vitamin A or beta carotene.
- Essential for bone growth and maintenance of bone density
- Increases calcium absorption to maximize bone health
- Promotes strong bones, hair, and nails
- Formulated to reduce the risk of, and for the treatment of, osteoporosis
- Vital for maintaining a healthy immune system, regulating cell growth, & preventing cancer
- Especially Important for nursing and pregnant women
- Improves your child’s intelligence
- Aids depression and Attention Deficit Disorder
- Improves memory
- Important for brain and eye development
- Promotes smoother skin; prevents wrinkles
- Helps prevent heart disease and arthritis
- Lowers risk of Alzheimer’s and senior dementia
- Lowers “bad” cholesterol