Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chicken, Marsala, & Tomatoes



So, this recipe doesn't really have an official name, because I kinda tweaked the original idea too much to still call it it's original name, so hence, "Chicken, Marsala & Tomatoes" was born. :) Let me be honest. Sometimes I wish my crock pot were more versatile (maybe even Jettson-like) and you know, would make salads and veggies (and Cocky Cookies) and stuff. If that were the case, I would use it multiple times a day!!! I mean honestly, how delightful is it to come home to a fragrant house, intoxicating smells wafting out the door THAT YOU DIDN'T SLAVE OVER!!!! It's really a beautiful thing. So, that being confessed- I love my crock pot, but I feel like I only have limited healthy recipes that all don't taste the same (mushy), so without further a-do, I am excited to welcome this newest recipe into the Haddon Crock Pot family. He's easy and tasty and a great change up to your typical crock pot meal.

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken (I used 1.3 lbs. for 4 people with no left overs)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
4 TBSP tomato paste
1 cup Marsala wine
1 can diced tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
1/2 onion, sliced thin
handful of basil leaves, chopped
cibata rolls, toasted
** 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes if you want a kick to it

Directions:
OK, so, I actually prepped this meal the night before, I thought: 1) maybe it will be better because it will marinate in the wine and tomatoes overnight 2) one less thing to do in the morning! So, I washed my chicken breasts, put them in and poured the wine and tomatoes & tomato paste on top. Added my seasoning and put it in the fridge with the lid on. Next morning, I turned it on low for 8 hours and let it do it's thing. Now, it is really helpful if you can time this right- but about 2 hours before it finished (1 hours would probably work too) I shredded my chicken, sliced my pepper and onion and put it all in, giving it a good mix. (If you put your pepper and onion in too soon they get mushy) Then when dinner time rolled around, I toasted my rolls and chopped my basil. Scoop the shredded mixture on top of the roll, add your chopped basil and wah-la! You are done!

No comments: