Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Banana (or Blueberry) Crumb Muffins....

So if you haven't noticed yet from my previous posts, I LOVE to bake! Maybe because it seems more fun to share baked goods, everyone enjoys a little plate of homemade, warm baked goodies and I love to deliver them :) Here's one that never left my house, but instead was eaten and enjoyed by many who have passed through in the past 2 days... they are DE-LICIOUS and I would recommend them for any occasion or ordinary day! You can make them with bananas or blueberries...
My little chef in training... mashing bananas all by herself!
Ingredients
1.5 cup flour ( experiment with different flour types and measurements)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar or raw coconut crystals
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup coconut oil
Crumb Topping

Crumb Topping
2 TBSP whole wheat flour
1 TBSP butter, soften or melted
1/4 cup sugar or raw coconut crystals
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Directions
Preheat your oven to 375. Mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl and sift well. Add to it your beaten egg, mashed bananas, a coconut oil (in liquid form), mix thoroughly and scoop into lined cupcake tins. Mix all your ingredients in a small bowl until it becomes crumbly in texture. You have two options for the topping,#1: spoon it on before they go in the oven and it will melt into the muffin OR #2 you can bake them for 10 minutes, pull them out and spoon it on top, immediately placing them back in the oven for another 10 minutes- this option will leave it more crumbly and loose like the ones in the pictures. You choose! ** Baking time is 18-20 minutes.**

Blueberry Variation:
Instead of using bananas, substitute the 3 mashed bananas for 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries and 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce. They are equally delicious!** Just a note, when I made the blueberry ones, I put the crumbs on BEFORE they went in the oven, you can see the difference in the two pictures of how the toppings turn out.***

3 comments:

Martha said...

These muffins look so healthy and delicious. While banana muffins are really great, I love the blueberry variation. I think they would bengood with a combination of mashed bananas and a cup or so of blueberries too. I just posted several healthy blueberry muffin recipe you may be interested in.

Krissa said...

Oh my...what a big girl Emery is! She is adorable...and taking after you with the love of baking I see. :)

Andrea said...

I love it! I love it! I love it! My munchkin loves to cook, we make a great team :) ANd these muffins, well, we both LOVE them! I could make them every week- and I just might!