Thursday, August 5, 2010

End of the Week Pasta


My sister came up with this little recipe a long time ago- it's simple and easy, yet so tasty and light. We call it the "End-of-the-Week Pasta" because we usually make it at the end of the week with whatever leftover veggies we haven't used up. There is no "must have" veggies that must be included, I just use any thing that's going to go to waste... here are some ideas that I used in my dish, feel free to vary it up! For those of you who like specifics, this recipe might drive you a little batty- bare with me!

Ingredients:
1 bell pepper (I had 1/2 orange and 1/2 red)
3 squash (I had 3 small yellow ones)
1/4 red onion (again, it's what was left over)
a large handful of green beans, chopped
a handful of mushrooms, sliced
MUST HAVES:
2 TBSP butter
3 cloves garlic
sundried tomatoes (I used about 1/4 of an 8 oz jar), sliced
1 TBSP grapeseed oil
1 lb. chicken, browned and diced
approximately 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese (again, it's.... what I had left!)
1/2 cup white wine (I used sherry because it was already open!)
s & p

Directions:
Boil water for your pasta (I use brown rice cork screw pasta from Trader Joe's). Then, in a large skillet, add your 3 cloves garlic, 2 TBSP butter and chopped onion and let it saute until it starts turning brown. Add all of your chopped veggies & your 1/2 cup white wine and let them saute for a 4-5 minutes, sprinkling them with a little s & p. Remove them from the heat and add them to you serving bowl, sprinkling your parmesan over top so they melt together. Then in your same large skillet, add your TBSP of oil and your washed chicken (I used whole tenders, if you use breasts, chop it up before hand for quicker cooking). Season your chicken with some s & p and let them brown on one side before flipping them over. Once you flip them over, add another splash of white wine (mine was a BIG splash!) and let them finish cooking. Remove them from the pan and let them cool for a quick minute before cutting them into bite size pieces. Add your sundried tomatoes to your serving bowl, then your diced chicken, maybe a little more parmesan and toss well. Serve as the entree... you will enjoy it's light and crispy flavor from all the veggies and the zest from the wine!

5 comments:

Kellie Staats said...

i just want to tell you I love your recipes!

Andrea said...

Thanks JandKStaats! I looked at your blog and saw that you were pregnant (congrats!), I am due with a little boy two weeks after you! My goal this time around is to start doubling my meals come October and freezing them so I don't have to cook when baby arrives!

Thanks for your comment, glad you are enjoying the recipes!!!!

Jocelyn said...

I love them too :) I just made southwest chicken salad the other night. I always peek at this when I'm in a food funk! xoxo Jocelyn

Andrea said...

Thanks Jocelyn for your sweet comment, glad to hear others are getting some use out of these as well- great encouragement for me to keep posting the good ones that I try!

Anonymous said...

seriously, I am loving all these new posts! I haven't tried any of your latest stuff yet but i WILL. There are a handful of dinner favorites in our house that come from YOU! thanks! :)