Sunday, August 16, 2009

Oat'Nana Pucks....


Oat'Nana Pucks...
the ingredients and mixing....
it will look crumbly like this...
pucks on a cookie sheet :)
yummy goodness all over the face!

Ok folks, stick with me here. This is a new recipe I tried off of a blog my sister in law sent me, and I really liked the idea of this "snack/cookie/granola/puck" thing. It has no sugar, butter, or cooking oil (just a little bit of coconut oil) and I thought it would be a great little something to snack on throughout the day when my "munchie" signal went off. And it turns out, it has become a fabulous little "treat" for Emery. The only "naughty" ingredient is the chocolate chips, but you could really use carob chips, raisins, or dried cranberries if you wanted to or you could leave them out all together-- but let's just be honest, that would take away from the oat'nana goodness.

Ingredients:
3 ripened bananas
2 TBSP vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil (you could use olive oil if you don't have it, but coconut has such good flavor!)
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup oat bran or wheat bran (I used oat bran from Trader Joe's)
2/3 cups finely chopped almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, raisins, or crans

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mash you bananas with a fork and add the coconut oil and vanilla. In a separate bowl, add the remaining dry ingredients and mix them all together. Add your wet ingredients to the dry and continue to mix together until the mixture is well blended. On a baking sheet with parchment paper ( or use a little spray since there is no butter and hardly any oil in the pucks) scoop mixture onto the cookie sheet in small clumps. The mixture will be "loose" and not like dough. Flatten each scoop with the palm of your hand, hence the puck name, and place them about 1 inch apart because they will not expand when baked. Cook for 14 minutes and enjoy the goodness!

8 comments:

The Zaballos Family said...

so good huh!?!? i need to make more!

The McCarty's said...

These look amazing. Can't wait to try!

Meghan Underwood said...

I'm so excited about these little guys...yummmm...

Andrea said...

You will love them, just remember, they aren't a cookie, more like a "healthy, you don't feel guilty eating the whole batch" kinda treat! Thanks for your comments!

Anonymous said...

just took these out of the oven and me, hubby and Lucy all took a taste sample and LOVE them!

How do you store them? Do you ever freeze them for later?

Andrea said...

I store them in a glass container and leave them in my fridge for up to 2 weeks, they last forever if you don't eat them all first! I have never frozen them, but I bet you could try! Let me know how it goes if you do! Glad you liked them!

Krissa said...

Just made these and they are SO good! I used dried cranberries instead of choc. chips and they are delish! Yes, I'm on my third one...so I don't think we're going to need to worry about storing these!

Andrea said...

Guess I should update this post beings that I still make these all the time, but I usually substitute the chocolate chips for raisins, but I haven't tried them with cranberries yet- thanks for the tip Krissa!! I will try them that way next time... which could mean.... later today :)