Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Taco Soup


Here's an easy one- you can serve it as soup or use a slotted spoon and serve it over chips as nachos.

Ingredients:
1- 1.5 lbs. ground turkey/beef
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can corn * optional
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups beef broth (reduce to 1 cup if you are making this for nachos)
taco seasoning- make your own (directions below) or use a packet

Toppings:
sour cream
shredded cheese
olives
avocado
tortilla chips

Homemade Taco Seasoning: make this in a separate jar, it will make more than you need, so you will have leftovers for next time. Use about 3 tsp. and add more if desired after tasting.
6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
This is a change to the original recipe- I originally made this recipe in a crock pot, but the second time around, when I tried it in the crock pot again, it turned out with a really unusual texture. So, here's a change to the directions, brown your meat first in a big pot, then add your seasoning to the meat, and then pour in the rest of the ingredients. Let it simmer for 20 minutes in the stove and serve it with all the listed toppings.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

OMG- that sounds De-licious!!!

ccdean said...

Hi Andrea,
We loved the BBQ Chicken Pizza, it is now Carl's favorite. Thanks for leaving a note on my blog. I would love to pass your food blog off to my friends, let me know if you are ok with me posting it on my blog.
Thanks for all your yummy recipes, I am enjoying trying them and adding them to our list of meals. You have also inspired me to be more planful!
--Christy